Re: A priori IPR choices

2007-10-24 08:39:41
On Wednesday 24 October 2007 06:50, Norbert Bollow wrote:
Scott Kitterman <scott(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> wrote:
And that will never fly (IANAL) with the GPL and so here we sit at an
impasse again.  So either a GPL implementation is important to
interoperability in a given space or it is not.  If it is important to
interoperabilty, then this is a showstopper.  If not, maybe not.

Do you have any specific example of an internet standard for which you
think that lack of GPL-compatible licensing of any (perhaps just
hypothetical) relevant patents would not cause interoperability serious
problems if the patent holder chose to aggressive enforce the terms of
that non-GPL-compatible patent license?

No.  My point was that for the IETF, interoperability is the goal, not some
general statement about goodness of Free software.  In many/most/maybe all
cases, this will require any IPR restrictions to be GPL compatible.

Scott K