Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third LastCall:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-23 14:10:14
"Hallam-Baker," == Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
writes:

    Hallam-Baker,> The two types of wiggle room that experience has
    Hallam-Baker,> taught me to be highly undesirable are:

    Hallam-Baker,> 1) Wiggle room of the form 'our terms are as good
    Hallam-Baker,> as RANDZ' when what is being offered is going to
    Hallam-Baker,> require licensing for significant classes of
    Hallam-Baker,> implementation, for example:

    Hallam-Baker,>    A Terms that preclude commercial implementation
    Hallam-Baker,> B Terms that effectively preclude open source C
    Hallam-Baker,> Terms that preclude particular types of open source
    Hallam-Baker,> license D Terms that allow certain uses but allow
    Hallam-Baker,> the IPR holder to reserve certain key use types
    Hallam-Baker,> such as providing essential services.

    Hallam-Baker,> 2) Wiggle room of the type 'customary RANDZ terms
    Hallam-Baker,> are not acceptable from you because'

    Hallam-Baker,>    A We don't like your company and want to make
    Hallam-Baker,> life difficult for you B We have discovered a
    Hallam-Baker,> theological objection to the customary terms C We
    Hallam-Baker,> lost a debate in another forum and would like to
    Hallam-Baker,> reopen it D We have a technical objection and will
    Hallam-Baker,> use this as a veto

I agree that these types of discussions happen and are almost always bad ideas.