RE: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third LastCall:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-23 13:48:15
The two types of wiggle room that experience has taught me to be highly
undesirable are:

1) Wiggle room of the form 'our terms are as good as RANDZ' when what is being
offered is going to require licensing for significant classes of
implementation, for example:

   A Terms that preclude commercial implementation
   B Terms that effectively preclude open source
   C Terms that preclude particular types of open source license
   D Terms that allow certain uses but allow the IPR holder to reserve certain
key use types such as providing essential services.

2) Wiggle room of the type 'customary RANDZ terms are not acceptable from you
because'

   A We don't like your company and want to make life difficult for you
   B We have discovered a theological objection to the customary terms
   C We lost a debate in another forum and would like to reopen it
   D We have a technical objection and will use this as a veto

While it is impossible to determine what the motive of a party might be in a
given circumstance I have heard all of these motives at least plausibly
ascribed to one or more parties in real situations.

The most pernicious of these in my view is 1D. This should not be considered
RANDZ, it is a royalty based licensing scheme where the rights holder has
decided to maximize their revenues by applying a particular business model.