Re: A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call:draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-23 05:54:20
On 22 Oct 2007 at 17:46 -0400, Sam Hartman allegedly wrote:
* Phil's proposal has been shot down prematurely in my opinion.  I
  agree that his current version would not fly.  However I do think
  there are working groups that could make conclusions about their
  patent policies and for which doing so would have helped the
  effort a lot.

Working Groups have the freedom to do that if they wish.  I don't want
a simplistic edict from on high that all working groups must do so.
Interactions between issues, technical and otherwise, are way too
varied and potentially complicated for such shallow rule-making.

Working through draft-housley-tls-authz-extns gave me a personal
significant lack of confidence in our patent policies and whether
they meet our goals and objectives.  I also wonder whether our goals
and objectives may have shifted somewhat since they were written.
However I'm definitely uncomfortable with relying on our existing
documents in any real dispute.

I think the problem is that because we have a wide range of opinion
and desired outcome, we cannot create simple rules, which means the
difficult cases take a lot of discussion.  I think that's important to
preserve, in order to support the possibility of new outcomes.

swb