Re: NAT+PT for IPv6 Transition & Operator Feedback generally

2007-11-14 08:54:46
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 14 nov 2007, at 14:19, RJ Atkinson wrote:

        There is an opportunity in all of this mess for some folks
to initiate work to develop a replacement RFC for NAT+PT. As near as
I can tell, operators aren't particularly worried whether that RFC
is on the standards-track or not, but they do want to have an open
specification for the function.

Please note that Brian Carpenter recently wrote a draft with a new take on NAT+PT:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt

Alain Durand's draft suggests an IPv4(public)-IPv6-IPv4(private) mechanism:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-v6ops-natv4v6v4-00.txt

And I wrote a draft proposing several modifications/additions to existing NAT-PT:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-00.txt

There was a lively discussion on this topic on the v6ops list that immediately stopped when I posted my draft... Margaret Wasserman brought up:

"Exactly what types of operational problems exist that we need to solve? Why aren't the existing v4/v6 transition mechanisms sufficient to resolve those problems? Where are the gaps that needs to be filled?"

There are several collection efforts going on - you might take a look at:

http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf

http://www.ipv6-to-standard.org/

http://ipv6.internet2.edu/

most of these are well advertised in the (Ran defined) Ops community.

- Lucy

It would be good to have answers to those questions from the operational community along with the signal that NAT±PT is required.