Re: IETF Hosting Opportunity - March 2009

2007-11-28 11:08:31
Lars:

The IAOC plan for 2008 and 2009 is to have three meetings in North America, two meetings in Europe, and one meeting in Asia. This 3:2:1 ration will be repeated for 2010 and 2011. So far, we are on track to make this happen.

The IETF web site is aligned with this plan:

   Spring 2008 - 71st IETF
        March 9-14, 2008
        Host: Comcast
        Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA

   Summer 2008 - 72nd IETF
        July 27 - August 1, 2008
        Host: TBD
        Location: Europe (Provisional)

   Fall 2008 - 73rd IETF
        November 16-21, 2008
        Host: Google
        Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

   Spring 2009 - 74th IETF
        March 22-27, 2009
        Host: TBD
        Location: Europe (Provisional)

   Summer 2009 - 75th IETF
        July 26-31, 2009
        Host: TBD
        Location: Asia (Provisional)

   Fall 2009 - 76th IETF
        November 8-13, 2009
        Host: TBD
        Location: North America (Provisional)

As we discussed at the IETF 69 Plenary, we have had some difficulty arranging hosts. We are be willing to discuss changing venues in order to get hosts. This is the reason for "(Provisional)" on the web site. However, we would make changes in a way that preserves the 3:2:1 ratio. So, we are in discussion with several potential hosts that could lead to exactly this type of juggling. We have someone that wants to host the Summer 2009 meeting in Europe, and we have someone that wants to host the Fall 2009 in Asia. If all of this comes to pass, we will be looking for a host for the Spring 2009 meeting in North America in order to preserve the 3:2:1 ratio.

Russ