Re: IETF Hosting Opportunity - March 2009

2007-11-28 11:48:47
Lars:

The URL from Terry's message leads to a web page with a lot of information about being a host. Here it is again: http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/iaoc/wiki/HostSponsorships

You can send email to the IAOC with the following email address: iaoc <at> ietf.org

Russ

At 01:37 PM 11/28/2007, Lars Eggert wrote:
On 2007-11-28, at 20:08, ext Russ Housley wrote:
The IAOC plan for 2008 and 2009 is to have three meetings in North
America, two meetings in Europe, and one meeting in Asia.  This
3:2:1 ration will be repeated for 2010 and 2011.  So far, we are on
track to make this happen.

I appreciate that the IAOC is trying hard to make this happen, and I
understand that we have particular site requirements (There doesn't
seem to be a good venue in Finland, for example.) I'm merely observing
that in the recent past, we haven't been quite as successful in
keeping to that ratio as we'd all have liked.

As we discussed at the IETF 69 Plenary, we have had some difficulty
arranging hosts.  We are be willing to discuss changing venues in
order to get hosts.  This is the reason for "(Provisional)" on the
web site.  However, we would make changes in a way that preserves
the 3:2:1 ratio.  So, we are in discussion with several potential
hosts that could lead to exactly this type of juggling.  We have
someone that wants to host the Summer 2009 meeting in Europe, and we
have someone that wants to host the Fall 2009 in Asia.  If all of
this comes to pass, we will be looking for a host for the Spring
2009 meeting in North America in order to preserve the 3:2:1 ratio.

I might not be fully up-to-date on our sponsoring process, but as I
understand it, a meeting sponsor pays for a fraction of the direct
costs for a given meeting. Other organizations charge a sponsor a flat
amount that is based on costs that are averaged over multiple
meetings. Yes, that means that sponsors of meetings in cheaper
locations subsidize meetings in more expensive ones, but it also makes
it financially irrelevant to the sponsor which exact meeting they
support.

By the way, is there another mailing list for us to move this
discussion to? Does the IAOC have an open list?

Lars