Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-11-30 04:15:34
---- Original Message -----
From: "Harald Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: <iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:52 AM
Subject: Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

IETF Chair skrev:
Dear IETF Community:

Due to a lot of hard work, the RFC Editor is publishing approved
Internet-Drafts more quickly.  Overall this is just what we want to
happen.  However, I am concerned that the RFC Editor is might be getting
too quick.  Anyone can appeal the approval of a document in the two months
following the approval.  In the past, there was not any danger of the RFC
Editor publishing a document before this timer expired, and the only
documents that became RFCs in less than 60 days were the ones where the
IESG explicitly asked for expedited processing.  The recent improvements
by the RFC Editor make it likely that all documents will be moving through
the publication process in less than two months.

My short reply: Bad idea.

In my opinion, placing such a hold on documents is a triumph of process
over sanity.

<snip>
Such a hold is a dumb idea, and we shouldn't do it. Just publish, and if
we turn out to have made the wrong decision, make a public statement
saying that; one form of public statement is leaving a hole in the RFC

I recall a recent occasion when the IESG withdrew its approval, for
 draft-housley-tls-authz-extns
a document that both before and after its approval generated a lot of heat,
within and without a WG.

Presumably the expedited process would, or at least could, have seen that
published as an RFC.

With that example in mind, a 60 day hold seems rather a good idea.

Tom Petch

                     Harald