Re: Revising full standards

2007-12-10 12:04:02
At 04:55 PM 12/6/2007, Eric Burger wrote:
Hardly seems worth the effort.

Of the 5092 RFCs published, just 67 are Full Standards.

The real issue is not "STANDARDs", but "standards".  The great majority
of today's operational Internet protocol standards have status (category)
PROPOSED STANDARD or DRAFT STANDARD.  But they are in fact
standards for the Internet.  I believe that we need a naming/numbering
system for standards, independent of the numbering system we have
for documents.  See http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html, in case
you are unfamiliar with past efforts to solve this problem: STDs.

Bob Braden