Re: Transitioning IETF DNS services

2007-12-13 00:16:03

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 05:11:47PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

Mark Andrews wrote:
       Hello Ray ,

Brian

    You need both physical (power, hardware, location) and
    operational (different global prefixes, preferably different
    AS's) diversity for reliable DNS.

    It's clear from the infomation above that the later is not
    being met.

    Mark

      it -could- be that these are two XEN images on the ssmae
      box.   HOWEVER. the point remains taht Ray explicitly
      told us that this was a transitional attribute that
      would be corrected  before the transition was complete.

      so take a breath, go out and cut the grass (or burn it off)
      and try not to micro-manage the transition... this is
      one of those cases where operational expedience and a
      desire to let folks know what is happening seems to have caused
      an over reaction.

        I hope they correctly manage the transition.  By that I
        mean that all nameservers (both old and new) serve the
        *same* zone content during the transition.  Otherwise
        there will be servers that will stay locked on the
        old nameservers until they cease to serve the zone.

        Mark

      as usual, YMMV

--
--bill

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org