Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-12-13 17:18:27
The discussion of this topic has died down, so it is time for me to make a consensus call. It is quite clear to me that the community does not want to delay the publication of RFCs. Therefore, in this note, I am asking the RFC Editor to publish RFCs as soon as Auth48 is complete.

If there is a successful appeal against the approval of an Internet-Draft, then the IESG will offer a remedy. One possible remedy is to classify the RFC as Historic, and another possible remedy is to progress a new RFC that obsoletes the earlier one and contains some appropriate correction. These remedies are attractive because no new processes or procedures are needed. Another possible remedy might be to withdraw the RFC. This remedy is not as attractive because there is no procedure to do it. However, this discussion has raised a few situations where this might be considered the appropriate action.

The IAB, in their oversight role, must approve the general policy followed by the RFC Editor. So, I am asking the IAB to consider the potential need to withdraw an RFC. Hopefully this will never be needed, but some thought about the way that it would be handled will be useful, just in case.

Many thanks,
  Russ Housley
  IETF Chair