Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-17 09:58:28

Sam Hartman wrote:
So far I think we want to recommend dual stack.  So, we need to think
about this outage more as a way to get ourselves experience with IPV6,
not as a network configuration anyone should be expected to use on a
regular basis.

As a simple model, let's assume 4 administrations are in the critical path:

1. Participant's laptop
2. IETF network ops
3. Collection of backbone operators
4. Participant's service provider

Each of these must support v6, for true dual stack to work.

Two major questions:

a) What is the current assessment about IPv6 support for major backbone service providers?

b) What is the lowly participant to do if they are a mere customer of a real, commercial service provider or a real organizational IT department who does not support v6 on production machines?

With respect to the latter, what information will be usefully obtained by the blocking of these participants from their home services that could not have been learned from a simple survey to their home service operators?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking