Re: TCP

2007-12-17 17:30:38

On Dec 17, 2007, at 3:05 PM, Matthew J Zekauskas wrote:

On 12/17/2007 2:30 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

It is probably worth looking into the so-called "LAN Speed Records" and talking with those who have achieved them. An example of a news report

Internet2 has sponsored some, and as part of the award the contestant is
required to say exactly how they did it so the experiment can be
reproduced... the history list with pointers to contestant sites is here:

<http://www.internet2.edu/lsr/history.html>

Operationally, the guys who worry about this sort of thing the most are probably the astronomers, who routinely move sensor data from radio-telescopes across the research backbones for data reduction. In their cases, the sensors routinely generate in excess of 1

Actually, I believe the physicists actually worry more (or at least as
much); there's lots of data to be moved around as part of the Large
Hadron Collider that is starting up at CERN.

Note that for VLBI for sure, and particle particle physics IMO, fairly high packet loss rates could easily be accommodated with no need for retransmission, and so there is no reason to use TCP for these applications.

This situation cries out for some sort
of "worst than best effort" scavenger service. If anyone else feels the same way, we should try and arrange a Bar BOF in Philadelphia.

Regards
Marshall

--Matt