Re: Let's look at it from an IETF oldie's perspective... Re: IPv4Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-21 02:09:08
On 20 dec 2007, at 19:38, Theodore Tso wrote:

Agreed, getting VPN's to work is going to be non-trivial.  On the
other hand, many VPN's are designed to work even in the presence of
IPv4 NAT's, since they are so ubiquitous these days; road warriors who
are using a variety of hotel and airport network services run into
them all the time.  So the question is whether some clever engineering
might allow some or all of the VPN's to work correctly even without
any cooperation or assistance of the corporate VPN server?

[...]

And if the first IETF meeting where we try this, there is a NAT box
which provides IPv4 services over an IPv6 encapsulation, that might
not be a bad thing.

Note that it's almost certain that a VPN thingy that was made to work with IPv4 (and NAT) won't work through an IPv6-to-IPv4 NAT-PT: the latter assumes that applications will be using the IPv6 socket API even though at some point IPv4 packets are generated.

This is one of the issues with NAT-PT we can hopefully fix in the relatively short term so that even IPv4-only applications can work over an IPv6-only network. (See thursday v6ops meeting from two weeks ago.)