Re: Deployment cases

2008-01-01 16:15:44
On 2 jan 2008, at 0:01, Dave Crocker wrote:

You and I and pretty much everyone reading this email are not representative of the broader Internet community. So the question is how to document the assessment that "lots of people" do use IMAP.

What was the purpose of this dicussion again?

If 10 million people use IMAP it was a waste of the IETF's time to develop it, but if 100 million people use it it's ok?

By that measure, we should stop developing routing protocols. Especially that pesky BGP protocol is a miserable failure: after 15 years, we can still number the organizations that use it (publically) out of a 16-bit space. But then, only a few handfuls of niche vendors implement it.

Compare that to IPv6, which is highly successful, because every Mac sold the last 5 years and every Vista machine sends a few IPv6 packets as soon as you plug an ethernet cable into it.