Re: Deployment cases

2008-01-01 13:20:45
Dave,

RTP is implemented and used in millions of devices, including just about all enterprise VoIP systems and H.323. Not as widely used for streaming, from what I can tell.

There are obviously other IETF streaming and VoIP technologies with RFC # > 2500 that are seeing large-scale use, including SIP, SDP, MGCP and RTSP, both in the enterprise and across closed and open IP networks.

Faulting IMAP4 for lack of inter-domain use seems peculiar, given that its purpose is to retrieve email by users within the domain.

Calling VPN a "niche" also seems a bit strange. By that threshold, everything that doesn't get run by every single PC is a failure, which basically means that we should have stopped protocol work after IPv4, TCP and HTTP. (I suspect that the vast majority of PCs are no longer running either POP, IMAP or SMTP, since many people now use webmail instead or don't use email at all, having switched to Facebook and IM.)

Henning