Re: Deployment cases

2008-01-01 18:22:01
On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 03:01:04PM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:

You and I and pretty much everyone reading this email are not
representative of the broader Internet community.  So the question is how
to document the assessment that "lots of people" do use IMAP.

So all of the people who wanted to Google gmail to use IMAP and the
fact that Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express support IMAP
and give you more functionality if IMAP is enabled isn't at least
suggestive that "lots of people" are using IMAP?

Corporations might be using MS Exchange, but most individual end-users
who are using mail service provided by the ISP are probably using IMAP.

But I'm not sure why we need to prove that IMAP is success to your
satisfaction.  Certainly the fact that many mail providers are
providing IMAP, and many MUA's can use the IMAP protocol, with more
functionality to their users compared to POP, is at least in my book
proof of the protocol's success.  If you want to think otherwise,
that's fine.

                                                - Ted