Re: Deployment Cases

2008-01-01 12:47:15
Folks,

Felíx Año Nuevo.

From some feedback, here are changes to the list.  I'm adding guesses about
the current degree of success each has had.  Please take it as a request to
comment, whether you agree or disagree, as well as a request to add items.

However, besides indicating a simple agree/disagree, please provide some basis, particularly if you believe something has gained significant adoption and use. Indicate who the user community is and what you think its size is.

Note that some items actually pre-date 10 years, but I'm keeping them in since
the still represent significant IETF activity:

Within IETF:

IPv6

   15 years and counting.

DNSSec

   13 years and counting.

Enum

   How much real use is this getting?  I know that activity remains high, but
I haven't seen much indication of deployment and use in large scale. If it is popular in closed environments, which ones?

CPIM

   Failure.

BEEP

   Failure.

MSRP

   I don't know anything about this one.

SCTP

   My impression is that this has not gained much traction.

IPSec

   Failure, except maybe as part of the VPN niche?

SASL

   Success?

CalDav

   No significant uptake yet?

RTP

Success? I seem to see it on streaming applications' configuration windows, but does it really get widely used?

NETCONF

   Failure?

IMAP4

   Success within organizations?  Not much between?

(a variety of PKI efforts?)

   Failure?

LDAP

   Although X.500 came from outside the IETF, it was largely a failure and
the changes made in the IETF had a substantial impact.  My reading is that it
is quite successful, within organizations, if not between them.

OPES

   Failure?

VPIM

   How much uptake has there been on this?

FFPIM

   Failure, except maybe within-organization among related products.

GEOPRIV

   No uptake yet?

Diameter

   How much uptake has this gotten so far?

DDDS

   No uptake yet?

SIEVE

   I'm keeping Sieve in, because it had to history prior to the IETF and it
came out of the IETF culture.  I think it's developing organically first,
rather than from a working group, is secondary, although quite interesting.

From outside IETF:

XMPP
iSCSI
> MPLS

Other:

PPP

  Much older than 10 years and not a major, current activity.  But, yes, an
IETF success story.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker