Re: AAAA records to be added for root servers

2008-01-05 13:31:39
John,

Excuse front-posting but it probably works better than
interstitial comments for what I want to say.

The basic theory is supposed to be that faced with
a mixture of A and AAAA responses, the host will
by default prefer IPv6 and by default use RFC 3484
to choose among multiple IPv6 addresses. As far as
I know, that's running code for many SMTP servers.
It's also running code for Java 1.5 and up. (In both
cases, the host needs a dual stack supporting RFC 3484.)
In fact it's running code for any properly ported
application. But it does need some logic on top of
the getaddrinfo() call.

Note that this set of preferences would apply *after*
any set of preferences applied at the FQDN level, e.g.
after MX preferences have been applied.

It's also obviously that case that if an FQDN has both
A and AAAA records, all applications servers reached
at those addresses must support IPv4 and IPv6
respectively. No exceptions.

There's an operational fly in the ointment if the
DNS returns an AAAA record but no path exists to that
address; unfortunately we still have such issues
(exactly as we did for some A records 15 or 20 years ago).
In that case the client host would need to try all IPv6
addresses in sequence, followed by all IPv4 addresses in
sequence, until something works. That's more logic on top
of the socket API.

As Phill H-B has implied more than once, there's scope
for a library on top of the socket API that takes care
of this once and for all. Does anyone have such a library?

   Brian