Re: FYI - "Examining Actual State of IPv6 Deployment"

2008-01-18 09:48:03
I think that's a pretty bizarre way to measure IPv6 deployment.  The
_last_ applications to support IPv6 will be the widely popular apps that
depend on an extensive infrastructure of servers that are currently
associated with IPv4.  Email and the web both fall into this category.
And as long as a site (practically speaking) has to support SMTP over
IPv4 in order to accept incoming mail, and HTTP over IPv4 in order to
make its web pages readable to most viewers, there's little incentive
for that site to advertise an AAAA record for either server.

Dan York wrote:
Since there's been so much discussion here of IPv6 here, I thought I'd
mention a recent post on CircleID.com called "Examining Actual State of
IPv6 Deployment":

  http://www.circleid.com/posts/81166_actual_state_ipv6_deployment/

The article is by Thomas Kuehne and is a "quick-and-dirty" study he did
of how many web sites were configured with AAAA records.   Obviously
it's not a comprehensive study, but just another data point about the
readiness for IPv6 - or not.  I've included the intro to the data below.

Enjoy,
Dan