Re: FYI - "Examining Actual State of IPv6 Deployment"

2008-01-18 14:48:51
Dan York skrev:
Since there's been so much discussion here of IPv6 here, I thought I'd
mention a recent post on CircleID.com called "Examining Actual State
of IPv6 Deployment":

  http://www.circleid.com/posts/81166_actual_state_ipv6_deployment/

The article is by Thomas Kuehne and is a "quick-and-dirty" study he
did of how many web sites were configured with AAAA records.
 Obviously it's not a comprehensive study, but just another data point
about the readiness for IPv6 - or not.  I've included the intro to the
data below.
Heh. 20% or more of WWW sites announcing IPv6 in *all* countries of the
world is certainly not what I expected.

The sampling technology makes me think it's not measuring what it would
measure at first glance - it seems that the data for Netherlands (for
instance) is gathered from
http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=NL&ts_mode=country&lang=none,
which lists a lot of non-NL sites. So it measures the size of the "IPv6
universe" as seen from that country, not deployment of IPv6 in that country.

Still.... interesting data.

                  Harald