Re: Last Call: draft-carpenter-rfc2026-changes (Changes to the ..

2008-01-21 16:06:44
At Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:03:50 +1300,
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 2008-01-22 11:24, Eric Rescorla wrote:
As a procedural matter, I agree with Scott and John. This
document should not be considered for advancement at this
time nor until such time as there is real evidence of
widespread consensus.

Actually, I agree too, but I also agree with Russ that the
discussion needed something noticeable to trigger it.

I agree with Scott that this is not an appropriate use of
Last Call.

As a substantive issue, renaming PS and DS to Preliminary
and Deplyable strikes me as a terrible idea. Whatever the
merits of the current names, they are the ones we have and
changing them now will only create confusion. Deployable
is a particularly bad choice since PSs are regularly
deployed.

I will listen to the consensus view on this, of course.

I think this has the burden backwards: there needs to be
strong consensus to make major changes, not just weak
opposition.

I think we have to recognize that the original roles
intended for PS and DS have been changed in practice,
and that may be hard for newcomers to appreciate.

Yes, but I don't think your renaming helps that.

-Ekr