Re: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines

2008-02-09 07:07:33

On Feb 8, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 8 feb 2008, at 9:29, Bob Hinden wrote:

The budget information can be found
at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/.  In round numbers total expenses are about
$4M, revenue is about $2.5M, and the ISOC contributes about $1.5M.
If it wasn't for the ISOC we would have a big problem.

So that means every meeting has to bring in $800k, which is a bit more
than the current number of attendees x the current registration fee.

The number of attendees is slowly but steadily going down. I don't
think this translates in substantial net cost savings for the meetings
(many costs are fixed; smaller attendee population will draw fewer
hosts; hosts will pay in some relationship to meeting costs) so this
means either the fees will have to go up even further, which won't
help attendance, or the non-meeting costs the IETF incurs will have to
go down.

Or the IETF will have to start charging for non-meeting services
currently provided gratis to participants.

These are primarily document related expenses.

Regards
Marshall

(I'm assuming non meeting fee fund raising is already maxed
out.)

I suggest we start thinking about this now rather than at the point
where the IETF can't pay its bills anymore. Where do we draw the line
on meeting fee increases? Is there any way to save costs? What was the
cost structure 10 or 15 years ago when meeting attendance was much
smaller?