RE: My view of the IAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines

2008-02-10 10:25:59
At 19:00 08-02-2008, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
It seems to me that the $800k budget for a single conference can buy an
awful lot of telephony (or VoIP) bandwidth so that inefficient and expensive
in-person meetings can be replaced by web meetings. Perhaps that money could
even be used to pay programmers to create a workable web-based voice and
video system for technical meetings -- open source, of course.

In-person meetings do not have the same dynamics as web
meetings.  People would react differently if they were interacting
through a voice and video system.  The aim of a meeting is usually to
have all the people in one place away from the "distractions" of
their regular work.

Surely we can find a way to work together without always having to fly to
distant climes? And we'd save the environment too, if technical
professionals got together electronically.

When technical professionals get together electronically, they have
flame wars. :-)

Regards,
-sm