RE: IPv6 NAT?

2008-02-15 07:45:08

I wonder if standard approaches to NAT for IPv6 just isn't going to be much
of an issue even if the IETF ignores it.  Since NAT for IPv6 is much simpler
than for IPv4, a bunch of the issues associated with IPv4 NAT usage don't
exist.  Like, there should be no need for port translation.  No need to time
out mappings.  For the most part, NAT for IPv6 should be just a simple
substitution of prefix A for prefix B.  What, exactly, are the range of
choices that NAT vendors need to agree on?

PF

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Dan York
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 9:36 AM
To: Rémi Després
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IPv6 NAT?

Remi,

On Feb 15, 2008, at 5:23 AM, Rémi Després wrote:

      Dan York wrote :

                      I.e., either we assume no NAT in IPv6,
or create a NAT standard. Those
                      are the only sane options.

Just to be clear, that particular text was written by
Iljitsch van Beijnum, although I agree with him on it.

      Somehow it can be both, but NOT at the same time :

      In the IPv6-only world, to be reached at the end of the
transition period, NATs should IMO be prohibited.

I think we will have to respectfully disagree on this one.
Count me in the camp that says that NAT will *NEVER* go away
as long as corporate enterprises believe it is of value to
them (as I noted in my previous message).  Even were we to
somehow "prohibit" it, enterprises would still do it... or
our stance on prohibiting it would simply be yet another
barrier for them to seriously consider moving to IPv6.

NAT is here. NAT is loved (by many). NAT will be with us
until long after we are all long gone.

The question is whether we standardize how NAT is done with
IPv6 or whether we just let the vendors go wild with it as
they did for IPv4.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork(_at_)voxeo(_dot_)com

Bring your web applications to the phone.
Find out how at http://evolution.voxeo.com