Re: IPv6 NAT?

2008-02-17 18:33:37

That's a terrible idea, because it would pander to the myths that
NAT is a security or policy tool.

Brian,
Several comments in this thread have suggested that security is the
primary driver for NAT.

While it is surely a factor, I believe the dominant driver for NAT is
addressing autonomy.

Unless/until enterprise (or even home) network operators have some
number of bits of address to call their own, without risk of forced
change or being held hostage to their ISP, you will have NAT for v6
just like for v4.  I think you can take that to the bank.

(Note that autoconf doesn't remove this need... enterprise operators
will have local host addresses sprinkled throughout a plethora of
departmental traffic disruption appliances, so renumbering will be
viewed by many as a non-starter.)

-teg