RE: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

2008-02-13 05:38:02

- "the GOOD news is that the wasp waist-hourglass is no longer HTTP"
[RFC3205], or

- "the GREAT news is that the wasp waist-hourglass isn't Skype (yet)".

The REALLY GREAT news is that when IP ceased to be the wasp waist,
TCP/UDP moved to fill that position which implies that having a
wasp waist in the protocol stack is a stable state towards which
the protocol set wants to converge.

Therefore, there is good reason to encourage this wasp-waist to
be the right part of the protocol stack. Which means that we should
conciously think about, and discuss, where the wasp waist should
be. And we should try to reinforce positioning the wasp wasit at
the optimal point of the stack.

Is TCP/UDP the right place which we should try to reinforce, or
should we instead try to move it back down to IP as version 6
becomes more widely deployed?

--Michael Dillon