Re: IPv6 NAT?

2008-02-15 02:08:22

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 17:12 -0500, Dan York wrote:

On Feb 14, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 14 feb 2008, at 21:49, Florian Weimer wrote:

The prevailing assumption is that IPv6 end nodes will be globally
addressable for practical purporses.  I think this is a very
unlikely
outcome.

Are you saying that there will be IPv6 NAT?

Absolutely.  100% guaranteed that some organizations out there will
continue to use NAT even with IPv6.

In my opinion, anyone who thinks otherwise does not understand how
wedded corporate enterprises are to NAT and how NAT will only be
removed when the keyboard is pulled from the cold, dead fingers of the
last remaining sysadmins.

Instead of the "private addresses" of IPv4 as defined in RFC1918 it
will simply be the "Unique Local Addresses" of IPv6 as defined in
RFC4193 - http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?doc=rfc4193  Instead of
starting with 10. (or 192. or 172.), the address block will start with
FC00... but the end result will be the same.  (And look, this time
around it even has it's own TLA ("ULA")!)

Corporate enterprises love NAT for several reasons. Here are two:

1. "SECURITY" - There is this belief that an organization is more
secure by hiding the topology of their entire network behind a few
public addresses that can be locked down and secured by appropriate
firewalls and gateways.  IT staff don't give a darn about our glorious
visions of end-to-end connectivity... they only care about "securing
the perimeter" and many (most?) see NAT as one way of doing that.  We
can argue endlessly that this may simply be an illusion (delusion?) on
their part and that NAT really doesn't provide real security, but from
what I have seen it *is* the prevailing view out there within the IT
community.

2. CONTROL - Organizations like the control that comes with defining
their own address ranges.  They don't need to obtain permission from
anyone to number certain networks.  They just do it.  Simple. Easy.
 They can create a master plan across all their locations on their
WAN.  As they add more networks through growth (either new
installations or through mergers/acquisitions), they can simply assign
those new networks numbering blocks out of their master plan.  In
fact, I would argue that ULA addressing (there I go with that TLA!)
makes that even nicer since the recommended means of generation of the
ULA block (in RFC4193) *should* wind up reducing the conflicts we have
today where merging entities are both using identical sections of the
RFC1918 10.x block. In theory the networks should be even easier to
merge.  Likewise, if a network gets split off from another one, it may
be able to be merged into its new owner very easily (and without
renumbering) via ULA addressing.

In this last instance, think of what happens if I'm using assigned
IPv6 addresses from Company A and now my network is sold to Company B.
Now I have to renumber my entire network to use Company B's assigned
IPv6 addresses.  If I just use ULA addressing I don't have to renumber
(unless by some freak chance I happen to be using the same ULA block
that some other network in Company A is using).

So yes, I absolutely think that NAT will continue in IPv6.  Corporate
enterprises are comfortable with it and expect it.  That's the
reality.

All that said, what happens when organizations would like to use multihoming?
In that case NATs create problems as flows have to use the same
exit/entry point, and when one of the connections breaks all the flows
going through the given connection will also be broken?

How is this problem solved in current IPv4 networks?

Thanks,
Stjepan