Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of trafficfor Oprah's Book Club webinars?

2008-03-09 09:55:18
Its a bootstrap problem though. You have to establish the market conditions to
favor multicast deployment.

They have not been right for general adoption to date. But as you point out we
can reach a state where the incentives are right for the isps.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Patrik Fältström [mailto:patrik(_at_)frobbit(_dot_)se]
Sent:   Sunday, March 09, 2008 06:49 AM Pacific Standard Time
To:     Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc:     Jeroen Massar; IETF discussion list
Subject:        Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of
trafficfor Oprah's Book Club webinars?

On 8 mar 2008, at 21.18, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

That's not how people tend to view Web video, there might be 50% of
the crowd watching it as Oprah speaks but the rest are likely to be
time shifted from a few secs to hours or even days.

As others have said, this time 500k people (out of 750k) really wanted
to view this at the same time...

An application layer architecture with in built caching would be
more efficient.

I completely agree with this. Caching/storage etc of video and other
distributed data have during the years moved closer and closer to the
end user (consumer of the data).

At first, we only had direct transmission of TV. Directly from the TV
camera to the viewer. Then we had caching in the form of tapes at the
TV channel. Now we have DVRs at peoples homes, which imply even TV
series that are produced long in advance could be distributed
beforehand and cached on peoples DVRs (encrypted -- so at the time of
the "live" transmission, the data is unlocked). How many things/hours
are actually live, *really* live?

And this "pre-distribution" could be done over IP-multicast.

    Patrik