Re: Was it foreseen that the Internet might handle 242 Gbps of trafficfor Oprah's Book Club webinars?

2008-03-10 20:59:40
2008/3/9 Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>:

Its a bootstrap problem though. You have to establish the market conditions
to favor multicast deployment.

True, which is why I believe the IETF stopped short of producing a
complete set of tools to overcome the end-to-end dependency of
multicast services.

The problem with Internet Multicast is that it's an all-or-nothing
delivery solution - every router in the path must support AND have PIM
enabled or you don't get the bits. And there are too many parties
involved to coordinate deployment globally (not unlike IPv6). If IGMP
had been designed
as a multi-hop protocol from the beginning, early adopters would have
been able to benefit from multicast content delivery to the edge of
their domain, or their multicast providers domain. But beyond that
there are just too many edge networks to coordinate or incent to
deploy multicast for someone else's content.

Today we have AMT as a way to get multicast content from the edge of
the multicast boundary over the unicast edge network to the receivers.
I've often heard people say that the future is VOD/P2P and multicast
has missed it's opportunity. Seems to me Opra may have a different
opinion. Do you think Opra would add
draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-08.txt as recommended reading to her
book club? ;-)

There will always be a high-demand live/time-critical event which
would draw a large time audience if we could only give it too them.

Greg

 They have not been right for general adoption to date. But as you point out
we can reach a state where the incentives are right for the isps.

 Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)