Re: IONs & discuss criteria

2008-03-09 13:47:11
John,

On 2008-03-09 05:56, John C Klensin wrote:

I definitely do not want to see a discussion between authors and
reviewers --especially Area-selected reviewers-- during Last
Call.  It too easily deteriorates into a "satisfy him"
situation, and those reviewers are not anything special (or,
unlike the ADs themselves, selected by some community mechanism).

Well, speaking as a reviewer who has often exchanged email
with authors during LC, I find that hard to accept. Very often
the dialogue is about clarity issues (either in the the draft,
or in the review) and ends with either the reviewer or the
author saying "Oh, I see what you mean." But there's a reason
why the Gen-ART review boilerplate says "Please resolve these
comments along with any other Last Call comments you may receive."
You're correct that there is no special status, and I'd be
rather disturbed if my review was the only community review.

     Brian