Re: Thoughts on the nomcom process

2008-03-17 14:07:25
Mike,

Thanks for your note.

Are you saying that there is text within 3777 that says that confirming
bodies should not ask for verbatim feedback but could ask for verbatim
questionnaire responses?

Consider this: what if the next nomcom were to be asked to provide
verbatim feedback by one of the confirming bodies, what should they do?
  The supporting information that was cited from 3777 is very generic
(with specific information provided later, if I may point out again) and
so I don't see a reason why it cannot be cited in the context of that
request.

For the nomcom process to work, a number of people in the community
ought to believe in it sufficiently to volunteer their time and a larger
number of people need to believe in it to provide feedback.

What am I hearing from my vantage point (having been a nomcom member for
3 out of the past 4 years) is what guides me to work on this; my goal is
to maintain and if possible increase the level of confidence in the
process.  When I ask for information, I provide assurances that the
information is for nomcom's eyes only (for instance, this was
specifically the case when we interviewed people).  3777 also says any
dissemination of private information by the nomcom must be minimal.  So,
I for one cannot just hand out private information without clearer text
in 3777.

Finally, when I make a mistake, I am more than ready to own up to that.
  In this case, my choice of words is quite appropriate.

regards,
Lakshminath