Re: Confirming vs. second-guessing

2008-03-17 19:59:46

Christian Huitema wrote:
And in order to make the confidentiality issue more concrete
(ie, real) would folks offer some examples of what falls under
it.
"I accept the nomination of area director.  The current area
director, Mr. J. Sixpack, has been attempting to impose his
opinion that beer should contain rice.  This is causing a rift
in the working groups within the area.  I would follow the area
consensus that we should outlaw rice in beer and thus my
appointment as new area director would achieve peace and
harmony within the area."

Why should such a statement be confidential?

Actually, it's an interesting example, because it has almost nothing to do with
the candidate and a great deal to do with criticizing a sitting AD.

So the statements "There is a rift within the area and I promise to follow area
consensus" surely have nothing sensitive in them, while ""attempting to impose
his opinion" surely does.

Whether such criticism should be subject to public scrutiny very reasonably
ought to be the decision of the critic.

There is a very real possibility -- and some would argue even the history --
that criticizing a member of IETF management can damage one's ability to get
things done.  So concern about confidentiality of criticism strikes me as
reasonable.

Whether one really believes that such confidential statements really remain
fully confidential is an entirely separate matter.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking