Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-25 20:03:39
Ned Freed wrote:
     er, NO.  SMTP has no dependence on what may or may
     not exist in the DNS.  Forcing SMTP to depend on DNS
     is a huge mistake.  And yes Virginia, I plan on removing
     A rr's from my zones (eventually)

You know, that's a very interesting point. One of more common configuration
variations we see is to disable MX lookups and just use address records. (This
is done for a variety of reasons, most often having to do with administrative
control issues.) In an IPv6-only future world I see no reason why the need for
this sort of configuration will vanish and I don't think having the RFCs
say it shouldn't work is a good idea.

I'm therefore changing my position from "no opinion" to "keep 2821bis the way
it is".

                              Ned

I don't think disabling MX lookups altogether is a smart move.  There
could be a variety of reasons I want my A or AAAA records to point to
one server, and my mail to go to a different server altogether.

Willie