IPv6 incentive? RE: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-26 14:44:18
It is pretty clear here that we are talking about a configuration that is
actually specfically prohibited by 2821.

If you are doing SMTP and claiming to be 2821 compliant you must lookup the MX
and you must not look at the A if there is no MX there. Any sender that is
breaking those rules is not compliant with the spec.

Spam is relevant in this regard to the extent that when you have a protocol
that is under such a level of sustained attack, it is entirely justified for
receivers to employ strict compliance with the standard as an acceptance
criteria. If you are not 2821 compliant then no soup for you.

I see no reason at all to extend support for non-compliant systems to the IPv6
world. On the contrary, it seems to me that this transition is exactly the
point at which you would want to say that the host name fallback support is
terminated.

The argument would become even stronger if it turned out that email comming
over IPv6 transports could be more easily distinguished from spam than over
other transports. This might even be turned into an incentive for making the
IPv6 transition.

What I am thinking here is that we stand a better chance of authenticating IPv6
address block allocations and thus eliminating bogons. Residential support for
IPv6 is non-existent today. We have a good chance of getting some BCP type
agreements out of the likes of MAAWG that could limit botnet and spambot
potential there.

Lets make IPv6 as clean as possible, leave host name A record fallback to the
legacy world.