Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-25 22:13:51

Ned Freed wrote:
   er, NO.  SMTP has no dependence on what may or may
   not exist in the DNS.  Forcing SMTP to depend on DNS
   is a huge mistake.  And yes Virginia, I plan on removing
   A rr's from my zones (eventually)

You know, that's a very interesting point. One of more common configuration
variations we see is to disable MX lookups and just use address records.

how does anyone expect that to work across administrative domains?

The usual reason for it is exactly that: To get things to work across ADMDs
where stuff is otherwise messed up, services are unavailable, etc.

Look, I'm not advocating the practice. All I'm saying is that people find
it necesary to do fairly frequently.

                                Ned