Re: Blue sheet harvest

2008-04-04 14:33:19
On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 03:14:08PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:50:08AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 07:08:41AM -0400, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
< it started w/ folsk scanning the pages of the early bound
< copies of IETFF proceedings.

the sheets are no longer included in the proceedings

    right - the point is that this has been a problem
    for years.

How is this a problem if the pages are no longer being included?

        the sheets still circulate.  :)

Do people seriously think (or fear) they are are getting scanned in
the room?

        i have emperical evidence of the fact.

Or the Secretariat is scanning them and selling them to list brokers
to fund the cookies and soda?  :-)

        that is beyond my paygrade.

It seems almost as if this is more of a perception problem than one
where there is an actual issue with e-mails going to spammers given
the current arrangement.

        perhaps so.  the question was raised, responses were given
        and judgement has occured.  some think it is a real issue, others
        think its a non-issue and a waste of time.  and perhaps both are
        right in their own narrow pov.  for me, the blue sheet issue
        first drove me to sign & then not provide an email address. these days
        when I do attend an IETF, I don't sign at all. Of course i don't
        say much, if anything, so as not to run afoul of the other legal
        strictures placed on IETF participants.

        Now Scott claims this is not honest. I will need to spend some
        time trying to understand why refusing to participate in all
        aspects of a strictly voluntary process is dishonest.

                                      - Ted

--
--bill