The purpose of blue sheets [Re: Blue sheet harvest]

2008-04-05 03:57:14
Has the purpose and the expectations of the blue sheets been
established somewhere?

So far I've seen (or sen folks justifying) the following use cases:

1) gauging the number of people in the room (for room size allocations
    for the next meeting)
2) identifying later on whether someone sat in the audience (for IPR
    purposes, not clear to what benefit exactly)
3) identifying previously-unknown people who spoke up in the mike
    and said their name but you weren't sure if you got it right
    (for the minutes). (i.e. identifying who made a Contribution in
    IPR rules sense)
4) identifying a person like 3) who has never posted on the mailing
    list and contacting him/her about the comment (otherwise you
    wouldn't know the email address)
5) contacting participants later on about future activities in the
    area (e.g. BOF list creation).
6) WG chair giving extra advice that if you mark an "X" beside your
    email address, s/he will subscribe you to the mailing list.

1) does not require email addresses, and possibly not even blue
sheets.  This seems like the typical reason given by the WG chairs for
the blue sheets ("if you don't sign, we won't get a room next
time.."). I'll observe that 2) appears to be useless because whether
or not a name exists is no proof one way or the other.  The critical
thing here is whether someone made a Contribution (in the IPR sense)
at the meeting.  So, it's likely necessary to be able to identify
everyone that speaks up in the mike, but whether or not the blue
sheets is the right tool to do that is debatable.  3) and 4) seem like
useful goals, but yet again, this seems an issue of identifying the
person speaking up in the mike, not who sat in the room.  5) only
seems necessary with BOFs etc that have not been managed properly (a
mailing list needs to be set up in advance in any case; if persons are
not signed up on appropriate lists, mass-mailing them (isn't that
spamming?) doesn't seem to be a very useful excercise).  I don't know
how useful 6) is in practise; anyone should be clueful enough to sign
up on the mailing list herself.

Some more below,