Re: Blue Sheet Change Proposal

2008-04-03 17:17:15

On Apr 3, 2008, at 8:10 PM, Scott O. Bradner wrote:

Ole guessed
My understanding is that the blue sheet serves mainly as a record of
"who was in the room" which I think is largely used to plan room
capacities for the next meeting.

the "blue sheets" are required as part of the basic openness
process in a standards organization - there is a need to know
"who is in the room" (see RFC 2418 section 3.1 for the actual
requirement)

the blue sheets become part of the formal record of the standards
process and can be retrieved if needed (e.g. in a lawsuit) but are not
generally made available

as pointed out by Mark Andrews - email addresses can be useful in
determining the actual identity of the person who scrawled their
name on the sheet - so it is an advantage to retain them

I'm trying to understand how the blue sheets contribute in any
significant way to the spam problem - someone whould have to be
surreptitiously copying  them or quickly writing down the email
addresses - both could happen but do not seem to be all that
likely there are far more efficient ways to grab email addresses

so, my question is "is this a problem that needs solving"?

I would say not.

If people want to harvest our email addresses, they are readily
available from IETF mail archives, which have
the advantage of actually being machine readable.

I do not see that any change is required in the blue sheets.

Regards
Marshall

Scott