Re: Last Call: draft-snell-atompub-bidi (Atom Bidirectional Attribute) to Experimental RFC

2008-04-14 01:22:38
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

I don't find dir="" in the HTML 4.01 spec.,

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.2

That permits LTR or RTL, bot not an empty dir="", or
is it another SGML oddity I've never before heard of ?

The dir="" is probably here to reset the text direction
to "I do not know", something which is impossible in
HTML because of the inheritance.

Yes, my question was why the draft needs dir="" at all,
and if it also updates HTML and XHTML for the purposes
of ATOM.

xml:lang="" in XML 1 turned out to be a major headache
for XHTML 1, because it is forced to mirror HTML 4.01
as good as possible, and an NMTOKEN cannot be empty.

 Frank