Re: Last Call: draft-snell-atompub-bidi (Atom Bidirectional Attribute) to Experimental RFC

2008-04-22 10:19:54
I have had a number of conversations with i18n experts on the topic and
none have complained about it thus far... which, of course, doesn't mean
that much.  I would very much appreciate having folks like Harald,
Martin and Tex weigh in on the issue.

Another comment that has come up is a question about why we can't just
use the W3C ITS spec for this, which is definitely a valid question.  I
would definitely appreciate feedback on that issue as well.

When it comes to the rendering of feeds in a UI, dir="" is likely not to
have any significant effect since, as you and others have pointed out,
(x)html has no similar notion and a direction has to be assumed.  The
main point of dir="" is to ensure that the original directional context
of an entry is preserved regardless of the specific feed that happens to
contain the entry.

- James

Frank Ellermann wrote:
James M Snell wrote:

My apologies for not getting back to this sooner.

No problem, it's only that the proposal to "rename"
the draft attracted my attention, and after I said
that this is dubious in a "Last Call" thread I read
the text, not only the file name... ;-)

All I know about BiDi issues could be summarized as
"if Harald / Martin / Tex / ... think it works it's
supposed to work".  But the acknowledgements in your
draft did not mention anybody I know as BiDi-expert,
that was the point when I started to worry about it.

Apparently 'dir' is strictly binary, "LTR" or "RTL",
and your draft adds a third value "".  Maybe this is
a good idea.  Or it is a case of "ternary bits", I
can't judge it.

Possibly you could convince me that it's a good idea
by giving an example where dir="ltr" and dir="" make
a difference, and/or by stating that dir="" MUST NOT
be used within the (X)HTML parts of an Atom document,
but actually that's beside the point.  What's really
interesting, did any BiDi expert confirm dir="" as a
good idea ?  If dir="" is a part of the experiment -
fine, let's see what happens.

 Frank