Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis: closing the implicit MX issue

2008-04-16 18:40:13
This decision raises a somewhat larger issue, namely whether deferring
to implementor desires is always the right thing to do. Compared to
implementers, there are many more users and system administrators. For
the reasons discussed earlier and alluded to below, they now lose in
having poorer error handling and more abuse. I thought standards
writers and implementer were supposed to serve end users (and maybe
the large number of people having to install and manage things), not
the other way around. Maybe this is another instance of the oft-
bemoaned absence of operators from the IETF discussion. End users seem
to be even more absent, even indirectly.

Henning