Re: Proposed IESG Statement Regarding RFC Errata for IETF Sream RFCs

2008-04-17 15:15:11
On 2008-04-18 07:22, Bill McQuillan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-04-17, Bob Hinden wrote:

I think that only "Approved" and "Archived" are required.

Approved is correctly for implementors to correct problems in the
specification.

Everything else is for a working group to consider when the RFC is
revised.

I believe that this is a good way to go.

I'm not convinced by any of the arguments against 3 categories.
There are proposed errata that are simply wrong, and there's no
reason to keep them around as potential future distractions.
So I think the "Rejected" category is useful.

One quibble that I have is with the word "Archived".

Yes, it carries unintended semantics.

I would propose that the two classifications be labeled: "Approved" and
"Not Yet Approved" with the clear understanding that *both* such types of
items will be archived so as to be available to the next document update
process.

I would simplify that to "Not Approved." The "Yet" also carries
unintended semantics.

    Brian