Re: WG Review: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

2008-04-23 07:50:08
Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Eric Rescorla wrote:
At Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:17:47 -0600,
Randy Presuhn wrote:

Our ADs worked very hard to prevent us from talking about technology
choices at the CANMOD BOF.  Our original proposal for consensus
hums included getting a of sense of preferences among the various
proposals.  We were told we could *not* ask these questions, for fear
of upsetting Eric Rescorla.

Well, it's certainly true that the terms--agreed to by the IESG and
the IAB--on which the BOF were held were that there not be a beauty
contest at the BOF but that there first be a showing that there was
consensus to do work in this area at all. I'm certainly willing to cop
to being one of the people who argued for that, but I was far
from the only one. If you want to blame me for that, go ahead.

In any case, now that consensus to do *something* has been
established it is the appropriate time to have discussion on
the technology. I certainly never imagined that just because
there weren't hums taken in PHL that that meant no hums would
ever be taken.
It's been a month since PHL.

The IETF's supposed to be able to work on mailing lists between
meetings, including being able to work when no WG exists - which of
course means working on mailing lists that are not WG lists.

Agreed -- this also means that the 'technical approach' straw poll
that did not occur in the CANMOD BoF is not really that important,
since final consensus needs to be confirmed on a designated mailing list.

I congratulate the participants who worked on the charter on managing to
have the discussion and come to consensus on an approach. I think it's
up to Eric to demonstrate to the IESG that there's support in the
community for disagreeing with the consensus of the discussing participants.

+1

15 person (large!) design team.  1000s of emails.  Done in a month.
This is more effort than most WGs can muster.

                 Harald

Andy