Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-06-24 07:46:08
Bernard:

Many of the IESG activities are listed in John's appeal. The DISCUSS Criteria document is probably the biggest step that was taken. ADs routine challenge each other to stay within those guidelines.

At the IESG Retreat we had a discussion on this topic. It is very hard to measure. During the discussion, we quickly discovered that there are a number of DISCUSS positions related to some comment that was raised in Last Call but not addressed in any way. One cannot call these "late surprises" and most of them are resolved very quickly.

We have a way to count DISCUSS positions, but we do not have a way to figure out what percentage of them are perceived as "late surprises" by the community. So, while we are taking action in an attempt to make things better, we do not have a way to measure our success or failure beyond community perception. Suggestions on making this more objective and less subjective are greatly appreaciated.

Russ