Re: Qualitative Analysis of IETF and IESG trends (Re: Measuring IETF and IESG trends)

2008-06-26 18:36:54
At 04:43 26-06-2008, Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
But, surely the WG consensus counts as part of the overall IETF consensus process, doesn't it? Please see the example in my response to Jari. The shepherding AD (or at least the document shepherd) has an idea of the WG consensus as well as the IETF consensus. We cannot simply weigh the latest opinions more than all the discussions that have happened as part of the WG consensus.

The document may be a product of WG consensus. It still has to pass through the community and the IESG to be published as an IETF document.

The WG knows about the internals of the document and generally have a focused view. The last call allows a wider range of input and to gauge the impact the proposal may have in other areas. It is not about weighing the latest opinions more. The author/shepard can always post an explanation. The participants in the WG should be aware that there will be an IETF-wide last call. You cannot blame the process if they choose to remain silent instead of taking part in the last call. Note that letter-writing campaigns in a last call have been proven to be ineffective.

Regards,
-sm