Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes ?

2008-07-01 13:52:40
Joe Abley <jabley(_at_)ca(_dot_)afilias(_dot_)info> writes:

A better approach, I think, would be for proposed TLDs to pass
technical review through some suitable body who could consider each
case on its merits.

As in https://par.icann.org/files/paris/gTLDUpdateParis-23jun08.pdf,
starting at chart 11?

Also, for TLDs like .local, one could also to some extent just say
"buyer beware". Anyone wanting a TLD that is known to not be useable
in practice (for some deployed software) would get what they
deserve. :-) The folk wanting TLDs presumably want TLDs that can
actually be used...

That said, I would expect requests for TLDs that would cause real
technical or operational problems to be turned down. There is a step
in the process for input of the form "um, bad idea because..."

Brian E Carpenter <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

I think all the external evidence is that ICANN is deeply reluctant to
set up mechanisms that require the application of common sense (a.k.a.
judgment) as to whether or not a particular domain name may be
registered.

Perhaps I've had too much of the Kool Aid, but there are steps in
place that are intended to catch potential technical/operational
problems with proposed TLDs. Maintaining DNS stability is a core theme
that appears throughout ICANN.