Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 07:53:45
Joel,

In many locations this may preclude departure until saturday which effectively makes the meeting longer by a day.
Hmm. The likelihood of having to depart the next day increases, but the question is by how much. For the record, my flights out of Minneapolis leave 15:20, 17:30, or 19:15. There does not seem to be any morning flights (focus on either morning or evening seems typical for intercontinental connections except at the largest hubs). With the new schedule I would certainly miss the first one, but would still be able to use at last one, maybe both of the other ones. The end result is arriving home at noon vs. afternoon the next day.

For local flights, what would be the effect? I don't have a lot of experience with US local flights... maybe you can fill me in? To look at this, I entered a few major cities on both coasts into my flight booking tool, and it showed flights from Minneapolis leaving throughout the day. For west coast, the last flights seemed to leave about 10 PM or so, for east coast sometime after 6 PM. You could still make a 6 PM flight even if the meeting ends at 3:15 PM.

Anyway, my conclusion from this very unscientific study is that while having a longer Friday certainly means arriving home hours later, it would still seem to be possible for at least some people to go back the same day.

But are there other factors at play? Need to arrive home sooner? Too tired on Fridays? Would have to carry luggage around if the hotel checkout time cannot be extended? Rules or preferences about airline selection affect availability of flights? Week is already long enough?

Jari

P.S. I generally do not leave until Saturday anyway, mostly because I often have private meetings after the sessions. And RRG meets until 5pm Friday in any case. And I would be too tired to pack and fly on Friday.