Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-18 06:50:59
Dear Elliot;

On Jul 18, 2008, at 5:41 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but...

I oppose this experiment. I already donate to my employer a significant amount of travel time on weekends without wanting to add to it. Flight schedules are tightening, thanks to the cost of fuel, which means that having sessions on Friday at all poses a problem now, if I want to get back by Saturday. Having afternoon sessions would put a nail in that coffin.

I propose two alternative experiments:

1.  Required agendas and Approval

No session can be approved without a posted agenda. Many agendas are late, which makes it difficult for people to know where they have to be and when. This is particularly true of working groups that meet more than once. The dhc chairs in particular have done a really good job of providing the working group with an opportunity to comment on the agenda prior to upload. Approval of agenda by either WG or AD (I could make arguments for both) would also limit stupid stuff. Just because I've written a draft doesn't make it intersting to anyone else.

2.  More meeting rooms per venue.

While this one adds expense in one way it can reduce in hotel and food costs to counterbalance. The real downside is that people will have to be pickier as to which meetings they attend.

In addition, I'd argue that we need to update our rules to allow for less notice so that more use of teleconferencing can take place.

It may just be too little coffee, but I am not sure what you meant here. What rule prevents teleconferencing ?

On a related note, I think that it would be valuable to have video of each meeting, as long as it could be done at a reasonable cost. A fixed camera aimed at the chair's table, plus a fixed view of the presentation, should not cost that much (roughly, 16 cameras would maybe cost $ 4 K, plus whatever setup and teardown time required).

Marshall

I recognize that this solution is not a panacea, especially for the poor shmo who has to be up at 4:00am to participate.

Eliot