RE: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

2008-07-21 11:31:57

To elaborate, my understanding is that the rules for
teleconferencing
are governed by the rules for interim meetings, which require
something like one month's advance notice plus attendance
requirements
at the previous IETF, and a minimum period of time between
meetings.

I will also note that telling people they cannot meet to
discuss things is about as effective as telling water it
cannot flow downhill.

In any case, what is "teleconferencing"?

Does it include someone running a realtime meeting on an IM service?
Note that these days, IM services can include video and audio.

If you use a service like that provided by webex.com does that make it a
teleconference?

If you have an audio conference call using SIP/VoIP over the Internet,
is that a teleconference?

One wonders why the IETF persists in using old technology long after the
real world has shifted to leveraging the very technology that the IETF
created in the first place? Really, the place for experiments is to
supplement mailing lists with a variety of other Internet-based
interaction technologies. Experiment with various of these possibilities
and find out what works. This should take the load off the face-to-face
meetings so that there is no need to extend IETF meetings.

Maybe they could even be shortened?

--Michael Dillon